Twitter has over 300 million active users as of Q2 2015, providing unparalleled opportunities for accessing other users around the world based on keywords and niches. However, building an appropriate following and quickly responding to tweets is quite an investment – only a sustained long-term approach will yield any tangible benefits for your business. For this reason, many businesses fail to realize how ROI-efficient a strong Twitter presence can be. It is one of the most inexpensive and engaging ways to build a base of clients while still being active to compete with rivals. Here are a few basics on how to build a following on Twitter:
Construct a powerful profile
- Add relevant information about your business: include your offerings and describe your business in a unique way to encourage potential clients to follow you. Remember – you only have 160 characters to impress!
- Have a distinct profile picture: Having a picture that catches the eyes of your followers always helps!
- Add your location: it is important to let your followers where your company is based.
- Show potential followers that you are present: Reply to follower’s mentions, retweet relevant tweets with regards to your business, write interesting content that will engage them and provide offerings limited to the people who follow you such as contests or coupons.
- Find connections: Look for other similar businesses with whom you could follow and connect with them. It never hurts to know people in the same business as you!
Create attention-grabbing tweets
- Use imagery: Post images of new and upcoming products or services as they will build excitement for your followers, pictures of your daily business activities and events, or anything relevant with your company.
- Create your own Hashtags: Let’s pretend your company is a restaurant named Life as a Vegan that is based in Montreal and you wish to attract new clients to your location. You can create hashtags such as #lifeasaveganMTL #LAAVrestaurant #MyLifeAsAVeganFood which will create visibility and engage your followers.
- Post videos: It is crucial to share videos often while still making sure they are appealing and fun to your audience.
- Ask your followers questions: Engaging with your followers is needed in order to keep them interested in your content; ask them questions about your products, what they like or don’t like, what the company could improve, what your audience is currently doing or what they think about a specific relevant subject. Not engaging with them will most likely result in a loss of followers.
- Tweet regularly : Tweeting 1-4 times a day is a must, and it is recommended to do so more than with any other social media platform. The more you post the better!
Promote, promote, promote!
- Use Twitter to bring traffic to your website: Posting at least one link a day is a brilliant way to lead your followers to your website which is what companies want as it results in sales.
- Promote your Twitter everywhere: Encourage people to follow you by letting them know how present you are on this social media. Whether it is on your website, Facebook page, Instagram or email, people will realize how effortless it is to connect with your business via Twitter.
There you have it: the basic tips you need to know to generate a large group of followers. Quite frankly, each and every one of them are fairly easy to follow and rest assured that by following these basics, your audience will substantially grow in a matter of weeks.
Need more in-depth information? Visit these two great blogs:
At concept9, advise Fortune 500 brands on how to build customer journeys that attract, engage and convert. To learn the role that Twitter and other social media play in this marketing mix, get in touch with us today!