Search engine optimization (SEO) is one of those misunderstood buzz phrases. What is SEO and why is it important to your business?
SEO is the art and science of improving your company’s rankings in web search engines such as Google, Yahoo, and Bing. The higher your company ranks when users search for specific keywords or phrases, the more likely you will attract clicks from your target market.
What is SEO for small business? It’s a combination of using the right keywords to drive web traffic. The trick is to apply a “three bears” strategy so your keywords aren’t too broad or too narrow but just right. For example, using a broad-based phrase like “car repair” puts you in competition with every auto repair shop on the web. Being more specific with your keywords, such as Montreal BMW car repair, will help you attract the right traffic.
So what is SEO as it relates to your operation? Here are some things to consider:
- Define the right keywords for your business.
- Good content is your best SEO resource; be sure to optimize all your web content for search.
- Apply local optimization using local directories and citations.
- One in four web searches done on mobile devices so optimize for mobile search.
- Consumers are 64 to 85 percent more likely to buy from a video so be sure to optimize video.
- Measure the quantity and quality of SEO traffic and understand what is SEO ROI.
What is SEO for your company? This is where an SEO expert can help. The search algorithms that Google, Yahoo, and other search engines apply are always changing. An SEO expert tracks changes in the search engines and can help develop a strategy that keeps you at the top of the rankings.